Usually, the Get help with File Explorer in Windows 10 page opens when the users press the F1 key while in a File Explorer window. File Explorer is one of the essential tools in Windows 10. It lets you navigate to different files and folder.
New Features of File Explorer in Windows 10
In the newer build of Windows, the File Explorer has got some additional features and became more productive, but it likewise became more complicated for some users. Here are some shortcuts that allow you to use File Explorer quickly:
- To open File Explorer, go to the Start Windows logo Start button and type File Explorer in the search box, then select File Explorer in the results.
- The quickest way to launch File Explorer is pressing Windows logo key + E.
- To show or hide the details pane is pressing the Alt+Shift+P key.
- To show or hide the Preview pane is pressing the Alt+P key.
- To open a new File Explorer window is pressing the Ctrl+N key.
- To activate the Search bar is pressing the Ctrl+E key.
- To go up one folder within the folder tree is pressing Alt+Up arrow key.
- To go back to one folder in history is pressing Alt + left arrow key.
- To go forward to one folder in history is pressing Alt + right arrow key.
- To create a new folder is pressing Ctrl + Shift + N key.
- To increase or decrease the size of icons in File Explorer is pressing Ctrl key + mouse wheel Up or Down.
Before going to the customization and different options for the File Explorer, let us first take a look at the brand-new features that it offers:
- Home Tab. It is located on the top-left of the File Explorer window. The brand-new Home tab makes most of the commands and tasks much easier than before. Whether you want to copy a file or delete it, you can do all of it with the Home tab. When you press the Win+E key in Windows 10, you will go to the Home Tab.
- Share Tab. It is located on the top-left of the File Explorer window. This Share tab allows you to share numerous files and folders anywhere you want with a single click. For sharing a file, you will need to select the file and click on the share tab.
- Quick Access. It is among the most useful features of the brand-new File Explorer in Windows 10. With this feature, you can go to files and folders that you have often visited. There are primarily two sections in this feature; frequent folders and recent files.
- OneDrive. The new File Explorer allows you not only save files to OneDrive but also sync them with the computer.
- Picture Tools. It offers users with some standard image operations such as rotate, slideshows, and set as background.
- File Menu. It allows users to launch the command prompt and Windows Powershell.
- File Sharing. It allows users to select and share files easily.
- Search. File Explorer enables you to search items specific to the existing folder and its sub-folders.
- This PC. It is the new name of old computer name which was “My Computer.”
- Custom Navigation. It allows left-pane navigation according to your needs using the View tab on the top.
- Flat UI. It has a flat appearance.
How to Get Help with File Explorer in Windows 10 PC/Laptop
File Explorer is formerly known as Window Explorer, a file manager application that is included in the Microsoft Windows OS since Windows 95.
The File Manager on previous Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 was renamed as File Explorer and present brand-new features such as a revamped user interface integrating a ribbon toolbar. It also redesigned the file operation dialog that shows more in-depth progress and enables for pausing or resuming file operations.
The details pane in Windows 7 and Windows Vista was eliminated and replaced with a narrower pane without any icons and fewer detail columns. However other details are shown by hovering over the file’s name.
If you are using File Explorer In Windows 10 OS, then you understand that it comes with the different user interface and a lot of various features. If you used Windows 8 and Now Upgraded to Windows 10, so after upgraded, there are many issues and problems.
If you wish to know how to set-up Windows 10 File Explorer to Open with This PC View, then simply follow steps below:
- Open a new File Explorer window in the Windows 10, and then tap on the View tab from the ribbon toolbar.
- In the View tab, find and tap on Options and listed by default on the far right side of the ribbon.
- In the folder options window, make sure that you are on the General tab. Find the drop-down box which labeled Open File Explorer and the tap on the drop-down menu and selects This PC. Then click the OK button to save changes you made and close the window.
Enhance File Explorer Menus
The Windows 10 File Explorer is precisely like the Ribbon Interface in Microsoft Office. If you wish to expand or minimize the Ribbon, all you have to do is right-click on the empty space and then uncheck the respective option. When the Ribbon is minimized, the only method it turns up is when you click or utilize the keyboard to open any of the menus.
How to Personalize Quick access Items?
On the top left of File Explorer in Windows 10, you will see the Quick access Toolbar. The Quick access is the toolbar to access most often used folders or files on single screen. Most often used folders appear on the main screen of File Explorer. So, Quick access offers an easy way to open folders that are too deep and needs various steps to discover that specific folder.
- If you want to add new Quick access on the left pane of File Explorer, right-click at the desired folder and then select Pin to Quick access.
- If you want to eliminate an item from Quick access, right-click the item and select Unpin from Quick access.
Show and Hide Files in File Explorer
Another method you can get help with File Explorer in Windows 10 is the Show & Hide Files feature. In the View menu, you can quickly find the file name extensions and the hidden items.
With this, you can likewise hide the selected files quickly. Due to the fact that that the show button is right beside the hide button, we suggest you to use other methods to hide files in Windows 10.
One Drive on File Explorer
All of us know that One Drive is one of the great cloud server and online file hosting service managed by Microsoft. All you need to use One Drive is a Microsoft Account. One Drive offers privacy control options which imply you got the flexibility to limit the audience. One Drive offers 5 GB storage to all users, and extra storage can be added by buying the subscriptions.
The brand-new File Explorer offers quick access to your One Drive account by clicking on the left side of the File Explorer. Furthermore, you can quickly add files to your One Drive account by dragging the files to the folder under One Drive on the left panel.
Remove Recently Used Folders and Files from the Quick Access menu
With this feature, you can get rid of all the recently used folder and files from the Quick Access menu. All you need to do next is go to View and then click Options. After you click Options, you have to go to General and then Privacy.
You can remove the checkmarks which will reveal you the files you just recently used or the folders which exist in your quick access. The file explorer history will be cleared when you click on the clear option.
How to Change the Folder File Explorer Opens To?
Another excellent feature which you could get help with File Explorer in Windows 10 is change the folder which the File Explorer opens to.
First, you need to open the Ribbon user interface and after that search for the File. Then you will see Change Folder and Search options. It will be going to open the Folder options on the menu.
After this, you have to open the General tab to set the folder you want under the Open File Explorer option. Nevertheless, the only options you can select are “This PC” or “Quick Access.” Click on the Apply option to apply this setting, and then the settings will stay as you want.
Change the Folder Layout
You can set a customized layout for each folder. This indicates you can change the display of files in the folder. The choice is between Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large. You can also show the files in a list with or without its particular details.
Options of including various panes are likewise available to you. These consist of Preview Pane, a Details Pane, and a Navigation Pane.
On the view tab, under the existing view, adjusting the files can be done. You can arrange files by groups, type, size or you can add the columns.
Apply Custom Settings to the Folders or Restore to Defaults Settings
It is another method which you can Get Help with File Explorer in Windows 10. You need to go to View, followed by the Options and the View again. With this, you will get some access to some of the more Advanced Settings available in the File Explorer.
You can show hidden folders, files, or drivers. You also can display full path in the title bar and restore the previous folders at login. To hide extensions for Known File Types, all you need to do is disable the default settings. You can also set up custom folders “of this type,” that means for a specific folder type, you create a new style.
To set the proper folder type, you need to right-click at the specific folder and then select the Properties option. After that, you can apply the new style. Then move to the custom tab and from the drop-down menu, select an adequate type. You can find it under Optimize this folder icon.
File Explorer Keyboard Shortcuts in Windows 10
To work effectively with File Explorer, make use of these keyboard shortcuts, sourced from Microsoft – that will assist you to navigate quickly between folders and its settings.
|Windows Logo key + E||Launch File Explorer|
|Alt + D||Go to the address bar|
|Ctrl + N||Open a new File Explorer window|
|Ctrl + W||Close the current File Explorer window|
|Ctrl + E||Go to the search box|
|Ctrl + F||Go to the search box|
|Shift + Delete||Permanently delete file or folder|
|Ctrl + D||Move file or folder to recycle bin|
|Alt + P||Show/Hide the preview pane|
|Alt + Right arrow||View the next folder|
|Alt + Up arrow||View the folder that the folder was in|
|Alt + Left arrow||View the previous folder|
|Alt + Enter||Display the Properties dialog box for the selected file or folder|
|Ctrl + mouse scroll wheel||Zoom in or zoom out on File Explorer interface.
It will change size and appearance on File Explorer views.
|Ctrl + Shift + N||Create a new folder|
|Ctrl + Shift + E||Display all folders above the selected folder|
|Backspace||View the previous folder|
|Home||Display the top item in the active window|
|End||Display the last item in the active window|
|F11||Maximize or minimize the active window|
|Num Lock + plus (+)||Display the contents of the selected folder|
|Num Lock + Minus (-)||Collapse the selected folder|
|Num Lock + Asterisk (*)||Display all subfolders under the selected folder|
How to Get Help in Windows 10 Explorer and Solve the Issues Easily
Windows 10 File Explorer issues can be slightly bothersome, we are going to fix the following problems:
- File Explorer Windows 10 not responding, opening, showing, loading, working.
- Windows 10 File Explorer will not open, keeps closing.
- Windows 10 File Explorer hangs.
- Right Clicking Hangs Windows 10 File Explorer.
- File Explorer freezes Windows 10.
- File Explorer Windows 10 slow, crashes.
Solution: Run netsh and Winsock reset
- You need to run Command Prompt as Administrator. You can do it by pressing the Windows+X key and choosing Command Prompt from the menu. Besides that, you also can type “cmd” in the Search bar and then right-click the Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator option.
- Type “netsh” in the Command Prompt and then press Enter key.
- Then type “winsock reset” into the Command Prompt and press Enter to run the process.
- You will be notified after the process is completed. After that, all you need to do is restart the computer.
Though Windows 10 have numerous brand-new incredible features and apps which you might wish to check out, Windows 10 File Explorer has got the most sophisticated version. How to get help in Windows 10 Explorer is simple. All you need to do is press F1 key on the screen you want an assist. Furthermore, you can also visit Microsoft and other Windows online forums to resolve your issues. With the methods above, you will be one step ahead of others, and you will get all the help you need. If you learn more techniques or find a new way to get help with File Explorer in Windows 10, then let us know about it through comments listed below.